NEW deadline! Sunday 14th March at midnight
The CCRI team have launched an exciting photo competition for young people aged 18-25 years in eight rural areas across England:
- Pershore, Worcestershire
- Barnard Castle, County Durham
- Minehead, Somerset
- Keswick, Cumbria
- Bridgnorth, Shropshire
- Alnwick, Northumberland
- Thrapston, Northamptonshire
- Shildon, County Durham
What do I have to do?
Take a photo of your community that shows what it’s like to live there as a young person. It can be of anything – something great about living there, or something not so great. How do you spend your time in your local community? Where do you hang out or visit regularly? What do you love about living there? What is difficult about living there? What does the community mean to you?
Step 1: Take a picture of your community or surrounding areas
Step 2: Email it, with a short (100 words max) explanation of the image, including where it was taken.
Step 3: Wait for a link to an online consent form from us. Complete the form to confirm your entry.
Deadline: 28th February 2021 at midnight
NEW deadline! Sunday 14th March at midnight
- You need to be aged 18-25 on the 9th of February 2021.
- Photos should not include people that can be identified (shots from a distance or edited shots blurring out individuals are OK!)
- Photos should be of one of the eight areas listed above, including surrounding areas
- You can enter one image per person; any photos you attempt to submit after the first will not be accepted for the competition
- Keep it clean! – inappropriate images will not be included and will be deleted (submitted images need to be suitable for all ages)
- The photo has to be yours and not stolen from Google!
- By making a submission, you are agreeing to grant the University of Gloucestershire a perpetual, royalty-free licence for use in any of our publications relating to this project and on our website or Defra’s website. The author will be credited if they are happy to be identified/associated with the submission.
- No feedback on unsuccessful entries will be provided.
- Please keep Covid-10 restrictions and social distancing in mind when taking your photos.
- Entries received after the deadline on the 14th March (midnight) will not be considered.
Why are we asking for photos?
The University of Gloucestershire have been asked by the Department for Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to undertake a project on rural youth. The project aims to improve understanding of being a young person in rural areas. As part of this, we want to see what our community looks like from the perspective of younger people.
What are the prizes?
🥇The winning entry in each area will receive a £50 Amazon voucher
🥈 The runner up in each area will win a £20 Amazon voucher
What will happen to my photo?
The research team will look at the photos and the text and write a short report about what they say / show. With your permission – we also hope to include the photos and text in an online exhibition.
What will happen to my personal details?
You only need to give us your email address and confirm you are between 18-25. You can give us your name if you want to. Any personal details you give us (name, age and email address) are stored in line with GDPR – which means the research team have to keep them safe. For more info, see our Privacy Notice, below.
How do I take part?
You will need an email address and access to the internet. Once you’ve taken your photo(s) and written some text, email them to us, here – we will email you back and ask you to complete a very short, online consent form that says you’re happy for us to use your photo and to confirm you are over 18. You will not be added into the competition until this is done.
I’m under 18 – can I enter?
Unfortunately not. At this time, we can only work with individuals aged 18-25.
Do I have to give my name?
No. We will not include your name with your photo unless you’re happy for us to do so. We will need your email address but this will not be made public. We will ask you whether you want to include your name on the consent form.
Can I withdraw my photo from the project?
Yes, but you have 30 days from the day you send it to us to do so.
What do I do if I have any further questions?
Talk to us! Email us email@example.com or call the research team on 01242 715314.
How do we know who won?
We will announce the winning photo on our Twitter account @CCRI_UK and our website and will contact the winner by email. The photos will be judged by staff at the University of Gloucestershire and Defra. Good luck!!
This information is available to download as a PDF, below. Our photo competition Privacy Notice can also be downloaded below.
For another opportunity to have your say, and be in with a chance of winning a further £20 of Amazon vouchers, you can also participate in our ‘mini-consultation’, here.